Monday, November 10, 2008

Lately I've been brushing up on some of my lost math abilities. I found an old college algebra book and noticed all of those complex pages in back, so full of strange shapes and variables they look like a physical burden to the eye, which I've never gotten to. So, in the pursuit of knowledge, I've taken it upon myself to devote some time (almost) everyday bearing towards the inside of that back cover. Learning new skills is something unlike anything else. Different every time. Refreshing. Somewhat akin to riding a roller coaster for the first time, falling off of a bike, or better yet like burning your hand on a stove top for the first time. The difference between these learning experiences and making yourself learn something long winded like math, reading, writing, typing, sciences or otherwise, is how much there is to learn and how quickly it happens. We all understand why a person learns not to touch a hot stove very quickly after doing so. So I'm thinking, wouldn't it be nice to trick your brain into learning the latter mentioned as if they were fire on a stove top? Could we learn that life is painful without them in order to more easily accept new ideas like these and commit them to memory? I think probably that it is possible, but not without conjuring some bad dreams and psychiatry bills later on in life. All the same though, that would be stellar.

No comments: